“When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.”
Ayurveda blends our fashionable life and health-oriented habits with traditional knowledge; the sole aim of Ayurveda is to revive the individual balance between mind, body, and spirit. (World Health Organization (WHO) recognized Ayurveda in the year 1976)
Food is a necessity for life, and to stay healthy it must be consumed properly. Ayurveda suggests various ways to eat food and stay fit; in this article, you will get to know the right methods of eating food and the healthy reasons behind them. Eating is not merely a material pleasure; it is mindful awareness. Eating gives joy, and when done right, you can feel the taste and importance of food.
A healthy intake of food is not regarding chopping vegetables – it is foods within the right amount for your body and what it desires. There is no fixed food and determined menus for eating healthily. It only requires the correct balance of various foods.
Importance of healthy eating habits:
- Lower the risk of various diseases.
- Healthy food and lifestyle boost your mood, and you feel good about yourself.
- It gives overall benefits to the body by building better memory, efficiency, and strength.
- Improves physical and mental health.
Your guide to healthy eating habits:
- It is advisable to drink lukewarm water empty in the morning. Always drink water while sitting (sip-by sip); standing and drinking water harm your kidney, keens joint, and digestive system. Avoid drinking water 30 minutes before and after having your meal.
- Drink your milk in one go when you are standing. In this way, your body will utilize all the benefits. Make sure the milk you drink is neither too hot nor chilled.
- Eat seasonal fruits and vegetables. One of the best ways to stay healthy all season is to eat food according to the weather and climate. Seasonal food provides all the necessary nutrients for our body and is affordable.
- Fix your time for eating every meal. One of the biggest reasons for weight gain is the irregular cycle of eating food. Consuming food at a scheduled time improves digestion, boosts metabolism, and regulates the pattern of the whole body.
- Avoid talking while chewing food. It leads to a calm, distraction-free environment and slows down hectic life. It also affects taste buds resulting in satisfaction and a feeling of wholesome.
- Switch to the healthier option of jaggery over sugar. We all love to eat sweets, but are unable to cut on sugar. A better option, to replace sugar, at least in the winters. It helps in the detoxifying of the liver, improves digestion, and removes other toxins from the body. It helps women combat menstrual cramps, abdominal pain, mood swings, and PMS. People following weight loss plans and patients with diabetes should monitor their consumption.
- Maintaining a healthy habit is important, but it is also necessary to digest food properly. Sit in Vajrasana for a few minutes after eating food. It helps to get rid of flatulence (gas) and acidity; ensures better absorption of nutrients by the body. It improves the digestive system and reduces belly fat.
Steps for Vajrasana
- Come to a sitting position.
- Bend both your legs and bring the feet to the buttock.
- Shift the weight forward, straighten out the toes, and bring your knees to the ground.
- Keeping toes together, part just your heels apart, and sit between your heels. Place your hands on the knees.
You can also take a walk, 30 minutes after your meal. According to researchers, walking after having your food is more effective. It speeds up the process of digestion, regulates blood sugar levels, and gives you restful sleep.
Main image credit: ©Unsplash